Eva Marinelli Martino was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on October 15, 1929. She studied at Yellow Springs of the PA Academy of the Fine Arts. Eva married Giovanni Martino, N.A. who was her most important inspiration and mentor.
She works in oils. Her early pieces during the fifties were of still lives and interior featuring her family. She expanded her repertoire to inanimate or found objects from around her home. Eva then began portraying life-sized figures and recently has been working on a “Chicken House” series which she is most known.
Her style is modern with an eye to classical paintings of the past. Her work has a strong lyrical sense and warm earthy colors, with a true sense in the compositions of the hardships women have endured throughout the ages and even today in the 21st Century as domesticated beings.
She uses a combination of references to design her works: models, imagination and sketches that she made in the 1950’s of chicken houses in West Philadelphia and Norristown.
Eva has 2 daughters, Nina F. and Babette. When they were children she set up still lives and taught them the basis of drawing and color. She has received numerous awards and honors. Currently Eva is the main impetus along with her husbands’ body of work in “Homage to the Martino Family”, an exhibition of the four painters at the Fine Arts Institute in San Miguel de Allende, Gto., Mexico.
Eva is included in an invitational 5 year traveling show of Allied Artists Members from 2003-2008 and a Martino Family traveling museum exhibit “The Martinos: A Family Legacy” scheduled for 2004-2005 starting at the Butler Museum, Ohio and continuing onto the Woodmere Museum, Philadelphia, PA. Other venues TBA.