The Allied Artists of America, Inc., as it is now known, was founded in New York City in the year 1914. The twelve original founders were Ernest Albert, Paul Cornoyer, Marshal Fry, Edmund Greacen, Arthur Powell, Walter C. Hartson, William R. Leigh, Frederick Mulhaupt, G. Glenn Newell, H. Ledyard Towle, H. A. Vincent and Jules Turcas.
The inaugural 1914 exhibition of members and non-members was at the Washington Irving High School on Irving Place, New York City. Thereafter, the annual open exhibition were held in the American Fine Arts Society Building, 215 West 57th Street (now the location of The Art Student League), New York City, except two invitations at the Brooklyn Museum in 1933 and 1934 and a joint exhibition with the New York Watercolor Club which was held at the New York World’s Fair in 1940. Beginning in 1942 and through 1946, the Allied Artists of America, Inc. Annual Exhibitions were displayed at the galleries of the New York Historical Society on Central Park West.
In 1947 and 1948, the Society’s open national exhibitions were at The National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South, New York City which has been designated a historical landmark building.
In 1949, the Allied Artists of America, Inc. began a thirty year span of presenting its Annual National Open Exhibition at The National Academy of Design Galleries on Upper Fifth Avenue at 89th Street.
We marked new milestones in 1980 with our Open Annual Exhibition at New York city’s prestigious American Academy of Arts and Letters, truly an artistic success, a Members show at the World Trade Center under the sponsorship of the U.S. Treasury and U.S. Customs; and a series of Key States, Resident Allied Artists of America Member’s Shows at museums across the country.
Our first sustaining Associate Members Exhibition at the World Trade Center brought a response from California to New York, and added a new link to the Allied Artists of America, Inc.
From 1914 to the present, the Allied Artists of America, Inc. will continue to achieve its goal of furthering the cause of contemporary American artists through its Annual National Open Exhibition in New York City, open to all members and non- members, demonstrations, lectures, awards at the Annual, slide program, a newsletter mentioning all activities of the Members and Associate Members and other cultural activities.
The members of Allied Artists of America were honored to exhibit their work at the prestigious Butler Institute of American Art located in Youngstown, Ohio. Due to the efforts of our President, Gary T. Erbe, the exhibit ran from January 14th through February 11th. It was a great success and was extended through March 2001.
Allied Artists of America, Inc. is a non-profit National Art Society composed of artists, sculptors, elected active members and sustaining associate members from the across the country. The offices and exhibition galleries are both located at the elegant historical landmark, The National Arts Club. The Allied Artists of America is incorporated under the provisions of section 101 (6) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The corporation is exempt from payment of Federal Income Tax as well as from New York State and local sales and use tax. Contributions to the Allied Artists of America, Inc. are tax deductible by the donors. The Allied Artists of America, Inc. welcomes your support.